Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ayla from Thumbs Up and Earth Charter Youth Reports


Post by Ayla van Kessel
“We have to be vibrant to even the light breezes!”
After three days of informative side events and intergovernmental Preparatory Committee sessions, this I can state for sure -- the formal outcome of Rio+20 will not be the outcome we are hoping for. Apparently, it is not that urgent to the individual governments to acknowledge the overwhelming will of their citizens to invest in a hopeful future.
Then, I discovered the reason why I came to Rio…Fernanda, an Earth Charter friend that I had never met in person before, runs up to me and says: ‘Ayla, I am taking you to the sunset ceremony of the indigenous communities in the forests of Rio! We leave in 30 minutes!’ She guessed my interest from my plans for the African hitchhike adventure that Thumbs Up is organizing. Next thing I knew, we were off! Without mosquito repellent or closed shoes, we headed to the jungle to listen to the statement of Indigenous tribes worldwide: Throughout history, indigenous peoples have made a commitment to Mother Earth to always respect and care for the community of life. Always thinking of the seventh generation to come. And so must everybody in every nation. A boy with Mexican indigenous roots, sang to us with a sadness you do not experience often. Such sadness in such a young child is unacceptable, and the dominant consumption and efficiency based economy seems to be causing it.
‘Are you worried about our future?’ I asked Xiuhtezcatl later that evening. He reassured me that ‘We are one human family. And together we can save our planet.’ What a relief to see that this boy is not paralyzed with sadness. While realizing that the traditional daily life of his ancestors is transforming into a less self-immune natural and social environment, he does not lose hope. We should also not. 
The title of this blog quotes my ambiguous feelings here in Rio – trying to stay positive, and at the same time witnessing a complete lack of ambition and devotion on the intergovernmental side. From this 12-year old’s sincere commitment to fight for the future he wants, I learn that I too must be vibrant and resilient and strong. From now on, I will seize every minor progression. Every ray of hope must nurture this positive energy.
I wonder what needs to happen to get the governments to acknowledge their common values and appropriate actions. But even in the background of non-implemented promises since the Earth Summit in 1992, I must keep identifying, and enforce, the small progressions here in Rio. From now on, I will keep you updated on those attempts.
Would you like to experience something similar to the mentioned indigenous sunset ceremony? The Wisdom Gathering between 16 and 20 June in the Netherlands gives you the opportunity to share common values and spiritualties. Click here for more information. 
Follow our Rio+20 Earth Charter Events here.


No comments:

Post a Comment